Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Down Syndrome Awareness and Advocacy Month Day 18: Fight for Inclusion

Let me tell you, the story below puts my stomach in knots. We are a few years away from Jackson going to kindergarten, but I am already preparing myself to have to fight for his right to be in a general education classroom with his peers. Somehow, although it's the law, school districts still justify keeping children with special needs away from their peers for most or all of the day. It is obvious that Jackson CAN learn, but will others believe it and continue to foster his learning if it doesn't fit neatly into the schools' and teachers' plans?

The family in the story live in a neighboring school district from ours, and they are currently in due process with the school district with the hearing going on throughout this week. They are fighting to have her daughter in mainstream classes for kindergarten! It shouldn't be this hard.

I am preparing myself to be Jackson's advocate, and I am hoping my posts over the next day or so about inclusion will others more aware of why doing so is still necessary and important.

Family Fights Tomball ISD To Include Special-Needs Daughter In Mainstream Classes

No comments:

Post a Comment