Saturday, October 8, 2016

Down Syndrome Awareness and Advocacy Month Day 8: Our Kids are Fighters

I wrote earlier about how Jackson is healthy, and he is! However, I would be remiss if I didn't discuss one of the scarier health concerns that comes along with the extra 21st chromosome. 
Children with Down syndrome have a higher chance (20 times that of their neurotypical peers) of getting leukemia. So, every six months Jackson gets a CBC (complete blood count) lab run, and we wait anxiously to get the results.
I have to say that this part really sucks. We have to go in about a week or so to get Jackson's next blood draw, and it never gets any easier. From conversations with other moms, I know we all worry when we see random bruises or when our children seem lethargic or when petechiae (purplish dots that can be symptom of leukemia but also can appear after a hard cry or when fighting off an illness) happens to appear on their skin. For me, this higher risk is always in the back of my mind. 
However, although our kids have a higher susceptibility, they also have a higher survival rate and lower recurrence rate. So, though my heart hurts every time I hear of a child within our DS community getting a diagnosis of leukemia, I choose to focus on that silver lining.
Our kids are fighters. They fight for acceptance. They fight to learn to do everyday things (eating, sitting, crawling, walking, talking, etc.) that just come naturally to everyone else. And, when unfortunately needed, they fight cancer. They are pretty badass!

No comments:

Post a Comment